People often let perfectly good patios go to waste. If you have a patio and hardly ever use it, you should give some thought as to why you don’t want to spend time there. In many cases, it’s because the patio is simply neglected. For some reason, people who spend a lot of time and money on the interiors of their homes often completely overlook its outdoor areas. When designed properly, your patio can become an extension of your home and provide you with a lot more living space. Seven great tips for livening up your patio are highlighted below.
- Buy Colorful Furniture – If it’s been awhile since you bought new furniture for your patio, don’t worry: You don’t have to spend a fortune to breathe new life into it. There are inexpensive plastic chairs and tables out there that can spruce things up nicely. For example, why not buy a couple of brightly colored Adirondack chairs? They are available in an assortment of striking colors, and they are very affordable and easy to maintain.
- Add a Few Stylish Planters – Potted plants are nice additions to any patio. They’re even better when they are kept in stylish, decorative planters. Compared with even a few years ago, there are some truly breathtaking options on the market today. Don’t be afraid to get a little creative with these pieces. Try something that contrasts a little with the existing design of your patio, or buy an oversize planter and make it the focal point. This is a quick, easy and affordable way to give your patio a face-lift.
- Throw in Some Waterproof Pillows and Cushions – A patio should look great and be as comfortable and inviting as possible. You can cross both of those things off the list by investing in an assortment of waterproof pillows and cushions. Pillows with many different colors, designs, sizes and patterns are available. They are designed out of special materials that can withstand rain and other weather conditions. You’re sure to find yourself curling up with a great book on your patio when you have luxurious cushions and pillows to enjoy.
- Light Up the Place – How long has it been since you shopped around for patio lights? There is a dizzying array of stringed lights. Some consist of traditional bulbs while others feature fun shapes, designs and colors. There are also hanging paper lanterns that bring extra flair to any patio. Take your time when shopping for lights for your patio. You’re sure to find the perfect thing, and you shouldn’t have to spend very much.
- Perk Up Your Table with Place Mats and Table Runners – If buying a new patio table is out of the question, you can breathe new life into yours with colorful, stylish place mats and table runners. Just make sure to select styles that are waterproof, or they could get ruined in the event of an unexpected rain storm.
- Scatter Outdoor Rugs and Mats – If your patio floor has seen better days, pick up a few outdoor rugs and mats. Mix and match a few different colors and designs to create an eclectic and eye-catching look. You will love how easy it is to arrange these mats and rugs, and you will be tickled by how dramatically they enhance your patio.
- Install Outdoor Speakers – Perhaps you don’t spend very much time on your patio because it’s just too quiet for your tastes. If you already have a decent indoor sound system, buy some outdoor speakers and install them out on your patio. Music from inside your home can stream out onto your patio, and everyone who’s hanging out there will be able to enjoy it. It will enhance the ambiance of your patio and open up new options for parties as well.
If you sometimes forget that you even have a patio, it’s time you gave it a little attention. You don’t have to break the bank to liven up the style of your patio.