No longer just for garage floors, concrete flooring is rapidly rising in popularity, especially in the world of rustic modern (a.k.a. contemporary rustic) interior design.
Being a natural stone surface, while remaining modern and uncomplicated, concrete flooring practically epitomizes the idea of rustic modern, and the many different colours and styles available offer something for everyone.
In addition to being stylish and beautiful, polished concrete flooring offers other benefits. Here are a few for your consideration:
- Concrete flooring is low-maintenance. Requiring nothing beyond an occasional wipe down with a wet cloth or mop, concrete flooring doesn’t require vacuuming or steam cleaning like carpet. This type of effortless minimalism is one of the things people love about contemporary design.
- Concrete flooring is good for your health. Unlike carpet, which can hold pet dander, dust mites, mold and other allergens, concrete flooring is easy to clean and remains allergen-free, helping your entire family breathe better. Be sure to seal the natural wooden surfaces of your rustic decorations as well to reduce potential allergens.
- Concrete flooring is water and stain resistant. This quality makes concrete flooring an exceptionally good choice for bathrooms and kitchens, where sinks and bathtubs can splash, and running water can cause humidity. Once polished, concrete becomes highly water repellant, making it a great flooring option anywhere wetness happens daily. Add a wooden slab vanity in your bathroom, or place a rough and re-purposed barn wood table on top of a sleek polished concrete floor in your kitchen for a cool rustic modern look.
- Concrete flooring is reflective. And reflective is good, because that means you’re bringing more natural lighting into your home. In addition to saving you a bit of money on utilities, more natural light can also help combine the airy minimalist charm of contemporary design with the rustic properties of concrete flooring. Be sure to get a natural stone finish for your floors with plenty of visual texture to enhance this quality.
- Concrete flooring is affordable. Because of the minimal amount of materials, labor and installation time necessary for concrete flooring, it remains one of the most cost-effective flooring options presently available. The low-maintenance and durability of it also add to the low price point, making it a smart option for anyone, no matter what their interior design style.
Soft, fluffy rugs and flowing curtains can be used to soften the feel of the ruggedly simple surfaces of modern design, and to warm concrete flooring in high-traffic hangout zones. Incorporating natural design elements, such as wood, plants, shells, flowers and other items found in the outdoors is a great way to make a contemporary home feel naturally warm while still enjoying the elegant simplicity of modern style. Glass lights hanging from the ceiling are also a designer favorite that look fabulous with the rustic modern style.
Concrete flooring is a great way to help find the perfect balance between warm, natural materials and simple, effortlessly current design. When paired with the simple, clean lines of modern design, a polished concrete floor can be just the accent you’re seeking to complement a rustic contemporary interior.
Greg Mayfair has been writing on the topic of industrial real estate, including concrete polishing for over 10 years now.