A washing machine which is sometimes referred to as a clothes washer or just a washer refer to an equipment which is used in cleaning/washing clothes without applying or use of physical energy. The clothes are washed automatically without any supervision as the machine is able to take all that it requires to do the washing or cleaning and the results are always enormous. There are various types of these washing machines which vary in their mode of operation/function, how clean they can wash clothes and even the nature in which they are fed clothes.
The following are common types of washing machines:
Top loading machines
As from its name, this type of washing machine is fed its load (dirty clothes) from the top. This machine is made in such a way that it has rounded top vessel (agitator) which is used in loading and offloading dirty clothes. A part from loading and offloading the machine, the top rounded vessel functions as the cleaner/washer, drier and rinser of clothes. All these operations take place automatically thus consuming less time when washing clothes.
- Because of its nature of operation, this machine is preferred by many people all over the world as opposed to other types of machines
- It is easy to use as the instructions in the manual are straight to the point
- It is cheaper as compared to other machines available in the market
- It is also preferred by those people who do not want to bend when involved in washing
- It may be difficulty to operate by people who are short thus favoring only those who are tall
Front loading machines
These washing machines unlike the top loading types; they are loaded from the front. They operate by lifting clothes to the top and then letting them fall into water. They work well with those detergents which do not produce a lot of foam. Front loading machines are equipped with an agitator which enables it to move the clothes throughout the water after they have been dropped from the top of the tub. This machine is able to perform all the functions of washing up to drying.
There are two categories of front loading washing machines that are available: – Semi automatic and fully automated front loading washing machine. Semi automated machine has separate components for washing and drying. Also it is composed of different timers for setting washing and drying periods. The fully automated front loading machine has only one tub which serves in washing and rinsing of the clothes. If well connected to water and detergent, the machine is able to take the right proportions of the two while timing itself.
- The machines use less energy hence act as a form of savings
- The machine uses less detergent as compared to other types of washing machines
- It uses less amounts of water as opposed to other types of cleaning machines
- The essence of washing clothes is to make sure that they are clean as far as possible and this is guaranteed by front loading machines as compared to other types
- They are easier to install and use
- They are expensive
- Semi automated washing machines are inconveniencing and may take a lot of time in washing clothes